Whitewater action – River rafting
This tour is a bucketlist item for many many people traveling in Iceland. And what a great experience!
If you’re scared of getting splashed by huge waves and don’t enjoy excitement, this is definitely not the trip for you. However, we’re pretty confident that you’ll still love our Family Rafting trip! The East Glacial River Gorge (Jökulsá-Austari) is the setting for our most action-packed and exciting rafting day tour. With spectacular deep canyon scenery and relentless heart-pumping whitewater, the East has been consistently rated one of Europe’s best rafting rivers and has topped popular guide books’ lists of “must-do’s” in Iceland. One of the most remote single-day rafting trips on the planet, this whitewater adventure delivers an unforgettable journey into the untamed beauty of Iceland’s river wilderness. Combine that with a dose of adrenaline strong enough to satisfy the most powerful of cravings. For those traveling to Iceland with a thirst for adventure, this is a day tour not to be missed!.
Pickup from Akureyri
The Whitewater Action rafting trip is available as a day tour package from Akureyri, including return transportation and lunch. When booking online, simply select the “Lunch of the Day” and “Pickup from Akureyri” extras to build the full day tour package. Departures from Akureyri are available everyday, but due to limited seating must be booked in advance. Please call the phone number on your ticket or drop into the Akureyri Backpackers (Hafnarstræti 98, downtown Akureyri) for more information and to reserve your pick-up.
*** Pickups leave at 7:20 from Akureyri Backpackers @ Hafnarstræti 98.
What to Wear on the River
- Thermal underwear / base layers
- Warm fleece top / wool sweater
- Fleece pants / extra long johns
- Thick wool socks / hiking socks (at least 1 pair)
- AVOID COTTON. As you are paddling down the river you are going to sweat. When cotton gets wet, it makes you cold. Fleece, wool, and synthetics are the best materials to wear because when they get wet, they keep your body warm. If you only have cotton, we can still make it work!
What else to bring
- Dry clothes to wear after the river rafting
- Any necessary medications (asthma inhalers, etc.)
- Waterproof camera (optional)
- Thirst for adventure & sense of humor!
Please leave all your valuables and loose items safe behind – they will fall off into the river and sink to the bottom or go down with the stream if you bring them on board, it has happened too many times!
- All rafting equipment: dry suit, PFD, helmet, booties, glove
- Qualified, professional raft guides and safety kayaker
- Transportation between our rafting base and the river
- Riverside refreshments (food and hot drinks for East River trips, hot drinks for West River trips)
- Iceland’s ultimate rafting experience!